SELECTED AND INTRODUCED BY RUTH RENDELLM. R. James wrote his ghost stories to entertain friends on Christmas Eve, and they went on to both transform and modernise a genre.
James harnesses the power of suggestion to move from a recognisable world to one that is indefinably strange, and then unforgettably terrifying.
Sheets, pictures, carvings, a dolls house, a lonely beach, a branch tapping on a window - ordinary things take on more than a tinge of dread in the hands of the original master of suspense.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 288 pages
- Publisher: Vintage Publishing
- Publication Date: 06/10/2011
- Category: Classic fiction (pre c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780099560562
- Paperback / softback from £5.38
- Hardback from £7.69
- EPUB from £0.99
- PDF from £1.88