This rich story collection will be a reminder to Nadine Gordimer's countless admirers, and a taster for the uninitiated, of her enduring imaginative power.
A woman gauges the state of her marriage by the tone of her husband's cello; a wife reads her husband's mood by the scent in the nape of his neck; a newly emigrated couple are divided by visual obsession, he with his native Budapest, she with South African suburbia.
With consummate artistry, Gordimer illustrates the show downs, standoffs and highlights of human intimacy while penetrating the nuances of immigration, national identity and race.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 192 pages
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Publication Date: 06/10/2008
- Category: Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780747593843
- EPUB from £6.90
- eAudiobook MP3 from £11.72